Transition between Primary and Secondary School is very important and making the right choice for your child can ensure future successes. At Western Port Secondary College our Transition Program is aimed at providing students and parents with a positive transition experience, allowing plenty of opportunities to explore our school and discover what it will be like in Year 7.
Transition events include; Western Port Secondary College Open Night, Grade 6 Secondary Experience Day, Orientation Day (state-wide), Year 7 Parent Information Evening as well as opportunities for students to apply for scholarships and our Youth Excellence Stream (YES) class.
Please find below a time-line of transition events.
Coming events / activities:
- Postcard writing to past Primary School teachers.
- Phillip Island Orientation Camp – March
- The College Open Night – March 2017, 5pm to 7pm
- The ‘Strive for Excellence’-YES Program Scholarship process will begin, for students considering Year 7, applications open in May : STRIVING FOR EXCELLENCE-2017
- Parents return Application for Enrolment (Year 7) to their Primary Schools.
- Youth Week activities: WPSC student leaders host primary school students for a range of activities during Youth Week- beginning April.
- ‘Strive for Excellence’ – YES Program and Scholarship applications shortlisted for interviews
- YES Program Academic testing will occur at WPSC in Term 3.
- Year 6 Leadership Forums. Year 6 students from 8 of our local feeder schools were chosen to participate in three sequential leadership forums. Students have the opportunity to meet and make new friends before the beginning of the next school year.
- From early August – Families will be contacted by mail with a confirmation package pertaining to their child’s successful application for enrolment.
- Year 5 Discovery Day, Friday 14th October – a letter will be sent home in September. Students from several of the local feeders schools are invited to participate in activities over the course of a week. Students all participate in the Amazing Race activity, which requires high level team skills and cooperation. Additionally, students enjoy the day participating in a range of regular classes, consisting of hands on tasks to more academic studies. Once again the current staff and students are looking forward to hosting the new cohorts of Year 5 students in our local areas!
- Secondary Experience Day , Wednesday 23rd November – This day is in place for all students who have been accepted into Year 7 at the College in the following school year. This is a chance to come to the College close to the end of the year, in the comfort of their primary school groups and with one of their PS teachers. Students will participate in a range of subjects and activities across the course of the day, as well as having the opportunity to tour the grounds and get used to their surrounds.
- Year 7 Parent Information Evening – Wednesday 23rd November, enrolled parents will be notified of the date and time. Come to the College and collect your official Enrolment Package for the following school year.
- Orientation Day – Tuesday 6th December (this is the state-wide set date). Students will again come to the College and participate in a range of activities.
Transition enquiries can be made by contacting the Transition Coordinator at the College on 5979 1577