Western Port Secondary College is fortunate to have the only secondary school based Defence Transition Mentor (DTM) on the Mornington Peninsula to assist and support ADF families in their transition between Defence facilities across Australia.
The College DTM is available Monday to Friday and can be contacted through the school reception on 5979 1577.
The role of the DTM is to provide information, support and referral to WPSC students of Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and their families, particularly during their transition into and out of the Hastings area, on posting, or during parental absences due to deployment, exercises or courses.
The different types of support that our DTM offers:
- One on one confidential counselling to students
- Assisting students to integrate into their new school community
- Coordinating appropriate welcoming and fare welling events
- Supporting students to develop their self- confidence and resilience
- Encouraging young people to explore options and make the most of opportunities.
- Assisting young people to manage the challenges of transitions.
- Referring students where necessary to appropriate support services
- Developing and implementing programs and resources that address issues and needs.
- Monitoring students’ day to day social and emotional wellbeing.
- Supporting young people at school during times of parental absences from home.
- Facilitating student participation in cultural, sporting, academic and personal development programs.
Some of the programs and activities run at WPSC include:
- Getting to know you luncheons.
- Welcoming and fare welling parties
- Frankston scavenger hunt: ‘get to know our local area’.
- Defence students ten pin bowling day
- Make your own pizza day using the schools outside pizza oven.
- ‘Absence from home’ program
- Discussion session of Defence related topics
More information can be found at these links
Defence community link: