Transition between Primary and Secondary School is very important and making the right choice for your child can ensure future successes. At Western Port Secondary College our Transition Program is aimed at providing students and parents with a positive transition experience, allowing plenty of opportunities to explore our school and discover what it will be like in Year 7.
Transition events include; Western Port Secondary College Open Night, Grade 6 Secondary Experience Day, Orientation Day (state-wide), Year 7 Parent Information Evening as well as opportunities for students to apply for scholarships and our Youth Excellence Stream (YES) class.
Please find below a time-line of transition events.
Coming events / activities:
- Postcard writing to past Primary School teachers.
- Phillip Island Orientation Camp – March
- The College Open Night
- The ‘Strive for Excellence’-YES Program Scholarship process will begin, for students considering Year 7, applications open in May :
- Parents return Application for Enrolment (Year 7) to their Primary Schools.
- Youth Week activities: WPSC student leaders host primary school students for a range of activities during Youth Week- beginning April.
- ‘Strive for Excellence’ – YES Program and Scholarship applications shortlisted for interviews – Strive For Excellence
- YES Program Academic testing will occur at WPSC in Term 3.
- Year 6 Leadership Forums. Year 6 students are chosen to participate in sequential leadership forums. Students have the opportunity to meet and make new friends before the beginning of the next school year.
- From early August – Families will be contacted by mail with a confirmation package pertaining to their child’s successful application for enrolment.
- Year 5 Discovery Day, A letter will be sent home in September. Students from local feeders schools are invited to participate in activities over the course of a week. Students participate in activities involving team skills and hands on activities.
- Secondary Experience Day , Tuesday 28th November – This day is in place for all students who have been accepted into Year 7 at the College in the following school year. This is a chance to come to the College close to the end of the year, in the comfort of their primary school groups and with one of their PS teachers. Students will participate in a range of subjects and activities across the course of the day, as well as having the opportunity to tour the grounds and get used to their surrounds.
- Year 7 Parent Information Evening – Enrolled parents will be notified of the date and time, this will be an evening dedicated to informing parents and students of everything they will need to commence schooling at WPSC.
- Orientation Day – Tuesday 6th December (this is the state-wide set date). Students will again come to the College and participate in a range of activities, familiarizing themselves with the College and building relationships with their teachers and fellow students.
Transition enquiries can be made by contacting the Transition Coordinator at the College on 5979 1577