Aspire Program for Year 12 Students
The Aspire program has been designed to offer a group of highly motivated Year 12 VCE students who are aiming high the chance to become part of a supportive team that will help them get there.
The process is as follows:
- Interested Year 12 students should complete an Expression of Interest form (available from your Form Teacher) to become members of the “Aspire” team. A limited number of places are available and only 20 applicants will join the team. A group of senior school staff will decide who is successful after receiving recommendations from your teachers and interviewing interested students.
- Students will only be selected who have high expectations and who can persuade the “panel” that they will put a significant effort into Year 12.
- Year 11 reports and teacher recommendations will be used to short list students.
- Successful students would seek a mentor, a teacher who agrees to work with them during their Year 12 year. Mentors would assist them in such areas as developing appropriate study habits, stress management, exam technique, revising notes, personal problems, career and tertiary entrance guidance etc. No teacher will be mentor to more than two students so successful students would need to “get in early” to ensure that they link up with a teacher who they feel will be able to best assist them.
- The college will provide a weekly “study group” and “Aspire” students will commit to attending these sessions. Aspire students would also be taken to University subject lectures and may even go “out for a coffee” with their mentor to discuss their progress.
- It is an expectation that Aspire students do not spend more than 6 hours at work per week as any more time than this will impact on the amount of study time you will have. Participating in inter school sport will need to be kept to a minimum to reduce time spent away from school.
Similar programs in other secondary schools have seen a very positive effect on VCE results. We expect this will also be the case at WPSC.