How We Teach Technology
Western Port Secondary College offers our students a wide range of Technology based subjects. It is part of the Year 7 and Year 8 core program and allows students to experience working hands on with a variety of materials, in our newly, purpose built facilities.
At this level students undertake 2 sessions each week throughout the 2 years, working with Food, Metals, Plastics, Textiles and Wood. Technology Studies involves aspects of:
- Investigation, design, production and evaluation.
- The social, environmental and economic impact of Technology.
- Understanding the materials, their characteristics and applications.
- Using safe practices to operate appropriate tools and equipment.
- Working independently or in a team situation.
The Year 9 and Year 10 elective program allows students to further develop their skills in the materials of their choice.
Technology at VCE
At VCE level we offer our students VET Building and Construction, VET Applied Fashion Design and Technology and VET Information Technology, all of which are nationally recognised Certificate II and III courses providing pathways to further education.
On completion of our Trade Skills Centre in 2010 we will be offering Automotive Trades and our current building project will provide a fully equipped Trade Kitchen that will support the teaching of VET Hospitality.
Technology is skilling our students for the future.