Victorian Education Excellence Awards
2022 Outstanding Physical Education and Activity Teacher – Winner Alison Dowler
Alison Dowler is a dedicated and innovative Health, Physical Education and Outdoor educator and leader who is positively impacting on the development of the Health and Physical Education curriculum at Western Port Secondary College.
Working to improve students’ physical activity, agency and inclusion across all years, Alison has embedded tertiary-level research into the curriculum. Alison has introduced Sports Education at Year 7 and 8, launched a new fitness centre and led a curriculum team to develop a new approach to curriculum architecture through a learning partner.
Through her role as Head of Health and Physical Education/Tech/Arts, Alison has strengthened the school’s place as a top partner school with Monash University. Demonstrating her dedication to the next generation of educators and her support for tertiary research into fitness testing, Alison has led her team to facilitate more than 85 Health and Physical Education pre-service teacher placements from Monash University since 2021.
- Sustainable Communities – Tidy Towns 2021 Awards – Western Port Secondary College for Connecting Schools and Community – Social Wellbeing Awards
- Victorian Excellence in Schools Award for most improved school 2019
- 2013 ResourceSmart Student Action Team of the Year
- 2013 Finalist ResourceSmart Community Leadership School of the Year
- 2013 Mayoral Sustainability Award- Mornington Peninsula Shire
- 2013 Tidy Towns Sustainable Communities Award- Litter Prevention in our College and Community
- Youth Partnerships School 2012-2014
- Beacon Platinum School 2009-2013