At Western Port Secondary College, we hold a clear vision for Careers & Pathways. We aim to maximise student understanding and engagement in their own Career & Pathways Planning from Year 7 to 12 through a cohesive, well-structured and engaging program. This ensures that all Western Port Secondary College students are supported to understand their strengths and interests, have the skills and capabilities to navigate multiple careers, and can meet the challenges of the rapidly changing world of work.
Middle Years and Beyond.
We aim for all students to complete their six years of schooling and to ensure that they are preparing themselves for a meaningful future. We offer our students he Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), which is Victoria’s senior secondary qualification and opens pathways to university, higher-level TAFE or VET certificate courses, apprenticeships, traineeships and the workforce (The VCE has expanded to include the Vocational Major, meaning students can study a new 2-year vocational and applied learning program within the VCE – this has replaced the VCAL).
At Western Port Secondary College students from the middle years and beyond have a range of course options that prepare them for their preferred Year 11 and 12 Pathway. We provide students with a range of subjects that support students to continue to explore and build on skills and areas of interest that prepare them for further education or direct entry into the workforce after completing Year 12.
It is the goal of the College to offer each student a challenging and rewarding program which will enable the individual to develop to his or her best potential. Varied pathways exist through the Senior School which enable students to:
- Accelerate learning by Year 10 students undertaking a VCE or VET unit as part of their Year 10 program and continuing that “jump start” by completing a Year 12 study whilst in Year 11.
- Pursue a VCE program with a broad range of studies offered in the Senior School. Most VCE programs will require students to undertake 20 units over two years.
- Complete a VCE VM program, which enables students to achieve specific learning outcomes in literacy and numeracy as well as practical, vocational competencies and personal development skills.
- Incorporate Vocational Education & Training (VET) units within VCE or VCE VM programs. A number of vocational certificates are offered, with each course enabling students to undertake work placement.
- Undertake a part time, school-based apprenticeship as part of their program which enables students to enjoy the dual status of both student and employee.
In addition to the extensive academic learning program offered to senior students, other programs delivered aim to provide opportunities for students to further develop skills necessary for a successful transition into the adult world – whether that involves further learning at the tertiary level or entry to the world of work.
Our students are required to complete SWL (Structured Workplace Learning) relating to their pathway and complete a range of industry recognised certificates such as Safe Food Handlers and White Card OHS training. They can also complete the Scope Young Ambassadors course as part of their community service component of study.
Students are also able to combine a School Based Apprenticeship or a School Based Traineeship with their school studies. In this scenario students begin an apprenticeship or traineeship with an organisation part time, whilst still completing one of the certificates at school. This enables them to take up to one year off an apprenticeship or traineeship whilst still achieving a senior secondary qualification.
Gardens Designed and Landscaped by Students
Our Hands On Learning students, guided by their teachers have been working on garden beds around the school.
SAM (Schools Access Monash)
Western Port Secondary College has a proud relationship with Monash University through the SAM Program which has operated for the past five years at the College. The program aims to expose students from Years 8 – 12 to the range of offerings at university through various activities. Monash University also supplies tutors to assist VCE students in various studies. A number of Monash University Scholarships are also available to students through this program.